Author Topic: Pit bike pull start.  (Read 1427 times)

beke

• Mid-Mo Peds
  • maxi-miser
    • View Profile
Pit bike pull start.
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:22:07 PM »

I'm ordering a pull start for my hobbit, but my questions are.( for those who have had them) did you mount it to the flywheel cover?? How much lateral movement is there on the pull start? (For spacing) has anyone used the washer method, where you notch it, and bend it to engage with the aluminum teef on the pull start. Lastly, is it durable enough to last, or am I wasting my time.
were living on dog food. SO WHAT!!!!

Moped Whisperer

• The Ruffians
  • Just A Little Closer...
    • View Profile
    • I Shoot Rappers
Re: Pit bike pull start.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »

It is mounted right in the middle of the flywheel cover. As for spacing, you need to cut out a spacer from the panel it comes attached to, as seen below and it will line right up and won't rub the flywheel or the washer. You can take a pawl off another pullstart and flip it to avoid using the fender washer. I rock the fender washer, but I don't bend it. I cut it like pictured below so the pawl hits it in four spots and then rather than bend it up to catch, I just threw a washer under it. You want to make sure that everything lines up well where the pawl hits the washer though as it is thin and if it is off it will tear up the pawl and make it slip on you. Now that I have that all ironed out (after ruining a pawl because my washer wasn't centered well and buying one to replace it), my only problem is the cheap shitty line breaks occasionally, but it is a five minute fix on the side of the road so it isn't a big deal. Outside of that, it is surprisingly durable and totally worth doing because that starter clutch sucks ass and makes your rpms hang.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 02:07:23 PM by Moped Whisperer »
78 Puch Magnum XK
78 Honda PA50
77 Puch Maxi - Accident Leftover

beke

• Mid-Mo Peds
  • maxi-miser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

Thanks man, that looks awesome. I like the idea of two pawls, but the washer idea looks good. I'm pumped. Mother fuck my starter clutch, can't wait to see it go.

beke

• Mid-Mo Peds
  • maxi-miser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »

Or, me n doke will pay for your gas sometime this winter(which couldn't be more then four bucks in your car) bourbon, safety, n wrench so we know it's done correct. Maybe the slowmo ride

stupedcat ca/

• Cold Trailers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:58:30 AM »

i would drop some life stuff to attend such an occasion if i wasn't inappropriately inviting mine hobbit and my self.
'79 hobbit proma-ed and polini'ed-stock '79 Garelli VIP 2spd

"mo peds, mo problems." DH

beke

• Mid-Mo Peds
  • maxi-miser
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 08:46:13 AM »

Hells yeah

Moped Whisperer

• The Ruffians
  • Just A Little Closer...
    • View Profile
    • I Shoot Rappers
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »

I might be convinced to attend a safety meeting this winter.
78 Puch Magnum XK
78 Honda PA50
77 Puch Maxi - Accident Leftover