Author Topic: Squeaky brakes  (Read 1435 times)

FakeDad

• Mid-Mo Peds
  • Taylor Bacon is the handsome boy!
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page Keep up with all my inane bullshit!
Squeaky brakes
« on: June 18, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »
How do I fix that? It's getting so annoying that I've taken to the Fred Flinstone method.
TAKE A PITCHER, IT'LL LAST LONGER!

Motorcycle Justin

• Cold Trailers
  • Don't Panic
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky brakes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 09:23:39 pm »

Great Gazoo

• I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 09:31:45 pm »
Try disassembling and cleaning shine the drums and scratch the shoes with sandpaper. The dust generated by the brakes can cause them to squeak.
"The power of the Executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgement of his peers, is in the highest degree odious and is the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist."
- Winston Churchill

Garett

• Administrator
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 10:11:31 pm »
Slotting your pads using a hacksaw is a good idea too.  Do it at a 45 degree angle.
...in the many years that I have been before the public my secret methods have been steadily shielded by the strict integrity of my assistants, most of whom have been with me for years.

Tom!

• Administrator
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
    • Expose for the Shadows
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:34:17 am »
do it at a 45 on rotations, so that the dust shoots towards the back of the wheel, not the front of the brake plate.
Creativity will always overcome lack of material.
These are challenges I put myself through to keep from sitting still.
Its about doing it the right way once instead of a convoluted way every time you want to make a change.

bright

• Edit Happy
  • SPEED FREAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 06:13:12 pm »
 My tomos rear drum break was squeeking so bad I stopped usung them and used my feet to. I simply took a can of starting fluid and sprayed it in through the cracks untill it was dripping a tiny bit and imedeatly started riding and applying the breaks. They stopped squeeking 90 percent so I did it again and it stoped completely. Its been two months and still no squeek!!! None at all. its like a Freeze dry clean. 
Mmmmmmmmmm! I love the smell of two stroke in the morning.

R.I.P.

• The Ruffians
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:00:04 pm »
jam a stick in it.

Phil N.

• Mid-Mo Peds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 10:48:08 pm »
do it at a 45 on rotations, so that the dust shoots towards the back of the wheel, not the front of the brake plate.

I usually do the opposite. The brake plate has an area for the brake dust to escape the hub.  Super clean shit makes a load of difference.  This means cleaning your hands before you install you brake pads.  I hope Rick chimes in cause he is the king of brakes and all things mopeds.

bright

• Edit Happy
  • SPEED FREAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:14:16 pm »
 You can use brake cleaner, its very close to starting fluid. you dont have to scratch or grind or cut or dig groves, just spray it and it freeze dry cleanes it in about 30 seconds very cut and dry, no pun intended. It is the same thing motorcycle racers do to there brakes. I have six diff size bikes from 50cc to 1200cc and it works on all of them. Disc or drum.
Mmmmmmmmmm! I love the smell of two stroke in the morning.

FakeDad

• Mid-Mo Peds
  • Taylor Bacon is the handsome boy!
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page Keep up with all my inane bullshit!
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:27:07 am »
thanks for the advice, I'll pick up some break cleaner.

The Crisco didn't seem to help much.
TAKE A PITCHER, IT'LL LAST LONGER!

Tom!

• Administrator
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
    • Expose for the Shadows
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 03:21:37 pm »

I usually do the opposite. The brake plate has an area for the brake dust to escape the hub.  Super clean shit makes a load of difference.  This means cleaning your hands before you install you brake pads.  I hope Rick chimes in cause he is the king of brakes and all things mopeds.

we meet again!

i haven't had any issues and it sounds like Phil hasn't either. So. Whats a mopeder to do?

Disc Brakes!

Needless. Clean em, cut em, clean the hub. Clean your hands before reinstalling, they will be better no matter what.
Creativity will always overcome lack of material.
These are challenges I put myself through to keep from sitting still.
Its about doing it the right way once instead of a convoluted way every time you want to make a change.

Mike Pee

• Administrator
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 04:15:13 pm »
they will be better no matter what.

I wouldn't go that far.  I've put some time into brakes and got them back together only to have literally the same stopping power as before.  Even with brake cleaner, sanding, cutting groves, being super careful, the whole works.

But I've done the same things to other pads and had them work well.  I think some pads are just too worn to make any work you do to them matter.  To thin.  Yar.

That said, I'd always try to make whatever is there work before buying new shit.

milky copout

• the abnormal teen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 11:18:35 pm »
hell my FA had the same problem, what i did was i took the brake pads out, which were completely worn out, formed a cast in Styrofoam cut small grooves, in what was remaining of the brake pads, and cast a new brake with jbweld. After it set, take the newer pad out, and file it down, until its smooth. Worked like a charm... stopped the scooter, and the squealing.

Ps, did you make sure the brake pads were aligned properly, tht would make them squeak too
If I were nice I wouldn't be sincere