Author Topic: 2 Stroke Oil?? Whats The Skinny??  (Read 2502 times)

mikebeez BLKBLK

• Scandy Squad
  • mopeds are dead
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Stroke Oil?? Whats The Skinny??
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 10:43:14 am »
observe as jimmy and justin make mopeds less fun! yay chill fellas
hopped up on my laguna (swag!) then I drop my roof
Wet like wonton soup. That's just how I do (swag!)
Then I park my laguna, then I fuck your bitch
Eat that wonton soup, wet like wonton soup

http://bikemiery.tumblr.com/
NEW BLOG http://homealonemopeds.blogspot.com/

Copperhead

• I.R.E.
  • Golden Cobra Dojo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 11:17:07 am »
Hey man, I just stated my opinion and this guy starts saying off-handed remarks to me about this and that. Yes I stick up for myself and I dont take shit off people, whatever, Im chill as a dolla bill in a swimsuit. Just dont like folks telling me what to say or do with my peds. 

And you all know you love to read the drama.
"Sweep the leg!"

Motorcycle Justin

• Cold Trailers
  • Don't Panic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 11:23:38 am »
Yeah, I don't need attention. I'm not even trying to start drama. I'm honestly just trying to get good information out. I know what peds you've built, and I think they're cool. I'm not talking shit on YOU; again, I just don't like bad information. Do what you want with your own bikes; AGAIN, I just don't like bad information. As far as my snippy, bitchy essay rants.. Well, I guess that's just how educated people communicate. Be on the level. I'm just trying to defend what I know. I'm sure you've "forgotten more than I'll ever know", seems like everybody has these days, but I come from years of 2t karting, autocross, and HPDEs, and I had the fastest bike at the last two rallies I went to, so I'm not just talkin' dat bullshit. I kinda feel like YOU should respect ME a little more. Come on meow.

Mike Pee

• Administrator
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 11:27:18 am »
observe as jimmy and justin make mopeds less fun! yay chill fellas

McGreggerson

• Blah I am a Kracken from the sea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 11:33:10 am »
drama? I'Z BETTA GET IN HUURR!

kidding.

really, everyone has their different styles and choices. i could choose to swear by the shittiest oil on the market and i'd get shit for it. but then again, vice versa. from my view, justin is just stating his experience and how he feels. you kinda blowing him off set him off it seems.

just chillax on all sides. Your choice in oil can vary. when youve got crummy oil, you seem to get more carbon build up from my experience. but then again, i dont see the need to run double ester in my stock bike. if i had an expensive kit? yeah. id do what i could to make it last as long as possible.
"the ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't" -Douglas Adams

Motorcycle Justin

• Cold Trailers
  • Don't Panic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 11:37:44 am »
Moped Grog ftw.

Linda sez "You two are both right, and both wrong, and you both need to take a chill pill."

Truce?

Holmes

• Mid-Mo Peds
  • Electric Stealth
    • View Profile
    • Holmes Bikes/ Holmes Hobbies
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 11:48:50 am »
I say you are all wrong, cause I just pee a bit in the gas tank and it seems to work fine with no oil mix. 
Copper Moby 50v
Tribred Hobbit
16" kids bike electric trunk monkey

Lindar

• Ice Queen/Admin
  • Breakfast Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 11:55:37 am »
OMG. Seriously guys? Is this REALLY worth arguing about?

Jimmy has an opinion about oil. His opinion leads him to actions that have worked well for him. Justin has an opinion about oil. His opinion leads him to actions that have worked well for him.

Yes, Justin, you can back up your opinion with well-reasoned paragraphs involving lots of science-y stuff. That's cool, and I know we all appreciate what a great resource you and your technical knowledge are. Jimmy is entitled to his opinion on oil, though, and he has built really nice bikes, so it isn't like he's some annoying noob trying to pretend like he knows what he's talking about. I know you read it like he was trying to pass along bad info, but he's just saying, "This is what I do, and it works for me." It's one thing to discuss the merits of oil and challenge each other's opinions. I view a lot of what's going on here as ad hominem arguments though, and that makes you both wrong. This has gone from a discussion of opinions and information about oil into a stupid 5th grade bickering match, and it needs to stop. You're both really cool dudes and I have a lot of respect for who you are and what you do. Please don't ruin that.
1978 Puch Kromag (Swinger): <i>The first-born.</i> Needs work.
1980 Tomos A3: <i>The problem child.</i> Needs tuning.
1978 Sears Free Spirit: <i>The baby.</i> Needs brake work.
1980 Tomos A3: <i>The one that plays with knives.</i> Runs?

Copperhead

• I.R.E.
  • Golden Cobra Dojo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 11:59:40 am »
Truce Justin *HUGS*

And it was kinda a respect thing, I didnt expect a fellow 1-70ian to jump on my shit.

But yeah total truce. We all dont need to end up like MA.

"Sweep the leg!"

Madden

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »
The guys around here run this stuff in their two stroke four wheelers and dirt bikes.
http://klotzlube.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KL-300_Quart&cat=4

The local store has it on hand and it comes in different scents like root beer and the like so your bike also smells pretty.

Motorcycle Justin

• Cold Trailers
  • Don't Panic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 12:15:57 pm »
Yeah man, Klotz is pretty good. I'd stay away from the Castor-based variations though, shit makes a mess of everything

porksteak

• Mid-Mo Peds
  • Patience is the best tool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2010, 12:25:30 pm »
I've been running Maxima2 50:1, and I've never had any problems at all. I'm running a stock cylinder but pushing it pretty hard. One day after some blasting on a fresh build my carb was stupidly unshimmed, literally rattling around my intake. Serious air leak. and I made it without smearing my piston all over the cylinder.

The viscosity of the maxima is a bit weird, kinda thin. But it's the only high performance synthetic I could get locally. So there ya go. They also say it's environmentally friendly, if you believe it or care.

http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=17&zenid=fgumv5rvrds6f3m2gfuemfcsn2
I have no idea what i'm doing, but i have a lot of tools!
bloo ciao! a spritely chap - CEO and prominent businessman Mr. Hed Turner
red ciao! redradness - stock and steady
new si! rusty blackness - I should get this thing going before I use the wheels for something else

Mercedes Benz 300TDT

Tom!

• Administrator
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
    • Expose for the Shadows
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2010, 12:36:31 pm »
Why stay away from Castor, just curious? Also, why not marine? Lay some science on me!

I ran Lucas Semi-Syn for a long time (before that I ran Marine, yeah!), and I have switched over to Motul for at least 1 Quart's worth. I can get it (700) for about $12. So it's $4 more than Lucas. It is way way way way less ashy & less smoky. Other than that I haven't noticed any difference I ran it at 60:1 in my Polini.

That being said, I won't go as far as Justin does. If I don't have my oil on me at the gas station I'll buy the cheap shit and run it. Until I can get back to my oils. At which point I drain my tank and give it to Loren. ;)
Creativity will always overcome lack of material.
These are challenges I put myself through to keep from sitting still.
Its about doing it the right way once instead of a convoluted way every time you want to make a change.

Motorcycle Justin

• Cold Trailers
  • Don't Panic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 01:33:56 pm »
Stay away from castor because it's a non-synthetic bean oil. It's VERY VERY good as an oil, really good lubrication, good dwell time, AND you can mix it with alcohol (not that that matters much, some of the kart guys I ran with used castor, and they ran Ethanol). The thing is, it doesn't burn very clean. It leaves carbon gunk CAKED on your crown and head, and gums up rings really fast if you're not careful. The only reason the kart guys got away with it was because they did a full top end rebuild after every weekend, and replaced the rings every weekend. I really wouldn't use it on a moped, because, unlike a really high quality synthetic, it's overkill. You'd KNOW if you had an engine that required castor; which, in today's world of really good oils, there aren't that many that really do. I ran Motul Kart Gran Prix 2t, and never had wear issues compared to the castor guys, and didn't have to clean near as much at the end of the weekend. I've found that Castor is a REALLY good assembly oil, because it stays coated to components longer, good for that first start :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:37:44 pm by GARzan Justin »