Author Topic: 1980 Vispa grande variator will not engage to turn engine???  (Read 5911 times)

Grizly

• View Profile
1980 Vispa grande variator will not engage to turn engine???
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:13:00 am »
This bike was damaged with 209 miles on it and has a sat ever sense I have replaced the pedals and made the repairs, new chain. also tension sprocket. The variator hub and starter clutch needed replaced also due to the key way was bad. Before with old hub the belt would start then skip with new belt now nothing...Could the new starter clutch be bad??? Do I need new clutch pads??? Need Help I,m a Newbie!!!!

day-clen

• View Profile
Re: 1980 Vispa grande variator will not engage to turn engine???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:58 am »
If you can get it to my place near 170 and olive I will give you a hand with it.  I normally work in the garage on peds wend. night, so tonight would be good.
citta-apparently pronounced "cheetah"

day-clen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:32:13 am »
Are you using the decomp when you try to pedal start, and there is a button switch on the rear hub that either engages or disengauges the motor from the pedals. Belt tension needs to be adjusted properly by moving the motor.
It would be easiest to be able to see the bike though.
citta-apparently pronounced "cheetah"

ire mark

• Sergeant
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:37:55 am »
what color is it?
Gal?tophile Chronique

MaddMatt

• The Ruffians
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:40:12 am »
Whats a Vispa, is that a mopad like a pouch?
My love is stronger than my fear of death.

Grizly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 10:45:38 am »
It is orange, with an oil injector and every thing... you are the second person that has asked what color , why???

Herbaceous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:56:18 am »
They're hoping you won't/can't fix it and just sell it to them for the cheap duh

ire mark

• Sergeant
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »
It is orange, with an oil injector and every thing... you are the second person that has asked what color , why???
just curious,,, i thought they made red/silver/blue,,,,,only,, and I've never seen one with oil injection,,,,,how is it that the keyway in the variator hub is bad?   is it broke out or wallered?  you can see the clutch pads,,, for wear,,, its usually the springs that act up,,,
Gal?tophile Chronique

Grizly

• View Profile
Re: 1980 Vespa grande variator will not engage to turn engine???
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 01:18:18 pm »
I talked to a fella out in California and he said I should replace the Hub with new starter clutches... I have seen a purple Vespa and orange but no red or blue...

Grizly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:43:00 pm »
Correction It is a Vespa Grande Delux (068/b)only a few of these were imported with the oil injector on them... I need the left side cover to complete the bike to It's original condition... There are a pair in California but the fella wants too much... The bike was in an accident that caused it to be sitting for all these years... the right pedal must have been down turning a corner and clipped the curb causing a split in the frame... I had to straighten the split then using a large warsher to weld over the hole to give it strength... I replaced the chain and tenson sprocket... I was told not to use the oil injector just close it off... does anyone know how to close the oil injector off???
I have cleaned the fuel tank of all the rust and cleaned the carburetor also... I guess I will need to replace the points and condenser...

ire mark

• Sergeant
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 02:59:03 pm »
does it have the speedo in the headlight bucket? does it have a key? what tailight? where's the oil tank?  is 068b the model? what year?
   I assume the repair you made was, with the washer was for the pedal shaft,,, that seems to be a common problem,,, caused most often by riding/pedalling it after that plastic bushing behind the chainwheel has tore up,,,,,put up a pict or 2

http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/42/11470/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:08:34 pm by ire mark »
Gal?tophile Chronique

Grizly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:20 pm »
Some Pix's

Grizly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »
More

ire mark

• Sergeant
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 05:39:35 pm »
that's too cool.... the turn signal mounts are different than the grande's I've seen with turns,,,and the switch is something else too,,,,, have you tried starting it with a drill? 
Gal?tophile Chronique

Grizly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 07:00:37 pm »
How do you start it with a drill??? The hub is turning... will check if it is the belt that is new, or the clutch pads...