Author Topic: Sachs Help  (Read 3029 times)

mrbusto71

• View Profile
Sachs Help
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:18:57 am »
Hey guys.

I have a 1979 Sachs Westlake which is my primary method of transportation around town since I don't have a Driver's License.
.....But I'm tired of getting honked at while I'm doing 29 in a 35-40, so I've started trying to modify this thing as much as I can while keeping it at 50cc's so that if I get pulled over I don't get arrested or get a ticket.

Now then, that being said, the first thing I need to say is that I'm completely and totally mechanically retarded. I'll be taking any advice I get from you fine folks and taking it to a mechanic.

So. I was looking at getting an 80cc kit from Treatland.tv because it doesn't look any different than a 50cc engine and it could pass...but I read about that kit causing constant clutch problems, and treatland is sold out anyways. So what can I do to get this moped up to snuff without breaking the bank and without blowing my engine up? I feel bad enough that I have to keep the thing full throttle 75% of the time which I'm pretty sure is a bad thing. I've already got a performance exhaust on there, and that helped a ton, but now I'm looking for more ways to get this thing to do a solid 40mph (if it's possible). Any suggestions? If you guys can help me at all I'll be forever grateful.

Thanks ahead of time.

Tom!

• Administrator
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
    • Expose for the Shadows
Re: Sachs Help
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:30:29 am »
I think you are putting the cart before the horse a little bit here.

But, the fastest way to make a Sachs quicker would be a new expansion chamber (i am pretty sure you have to have it welded on, or get a very decent rubber mount - one that won't leak or melt).

Jimmy is our resident Sachs expert here, he might chime in eventually.

Have you done basic tuning and cleaning of your carb, exhaust system, electrics, and drive train? - Don't mean to sound like a dick here. knowing nothing of the issues you are having, it could be something relatively simple that just needs tweaking.
Creativity will always overcome lack of material.
These are challenges I put myself through to keep from sitting still.
Its about doing it the right way once instead of a convoluted way every time you want to make a change.

Copperhead

• I.R.E.
  • Golden Cobra Dojo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 03:27:03 am »
get the 50cc kit or the 65...the 80 is not for beginers!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:16:23 am by humanaquarian »
"Sweep the leg!"

ire mark

• Sergeant
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 04:24:50 am »
If you get pulled over the first order of business will be the drivers license.  IMO  29 mph is a pretty good clip. How did you measure that?
Gal?tophile Chronique

Phil N.

• Mid-Mo Peds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:23:12 am »
yeah Jill's Westlake does about 20.  If you are going by the speedo, those are way off.

ire mark

• Sergeant
  • I.R.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 09:31:46 am »
all those german speedo's are a bunch of liars,,,,my  69vw/westy/camper says 79 when I hit 60....the odometer is dead on though..so .I always plot my speed with a clock and a map,,dead'a'reckonin'
Gal?tophile Chronique

Copperhead

• I.R.E.
  • Golden Cobra Dojo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:39:11 am »
JIlls only does 20?

We should clean the carb, or put new points in...I have new seals if that is the culprit...thats not right...it should be doing like 27, still slow but yeah, I might not be there SUN, but some point in the future we should look at that and make it go what it supposed to...

"Sweep the leg!"

Phil N.

• Mid-Mo Peds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 11:57:20 am »
yeah I haven't cleaned the carb since we put it together a while back.   The pipe on there is really restrictive too.  It runs strong though.

R.I.P.

• The Ruffians
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 01:34:06 pm »
all those german speedo's are a bunch of liars,,,,my  69vw/westy/camper says 79 when I hit 60....the odometer is dead on though..so .I always plot my speed with a clock and a map,,dead'a'reckonin'
i think the japanese speedos are junk too, mine said 32 and i know i was going at least 75

Half Pint

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 08:22:58 pm »
Yeah my Westlake is pretty slow. We haven't actually GPSed though. I don't care. I <3 my Westlake!

mrbusto71

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 01:27:30 am »
I know we cleaned the entire engine when I first got it, but that was something like 4 months ago. I got a new muffler with huge expansion chambers, but it's flanged on with a screw, not welded... will welding it straight to the engine do me some good? I was told to get a Dellorto Carb to put in, but I don't know what the function of a carb is, so I don't want to sink money into that just yet until I get some advice. Also, I live in a hilly region... nothing too crazy, but I have to go over a lot of freeway over passes and those things are a living nightmare for my moped. We're talking maybe 10-15 mph max going uphill. It's a sad sight. I was advised to gear my rear wheel sprocket down? I don't know what that means, but just shooting out what I've already been told. I'm averaging my speed based on the speed limit and the flow of traffic by the way. My speedo is busted, and I'm in no hurry to fix it. Also, I see a lot of these tricked out mopeds with some huge air filter on it.....is that something I should look into? Last question for the night. Will racing tires help my overall performance? I'm seriously looking for any little bit that can help me get the most oomph out of this thing. And guys, thanks for responding...it took a week over at mopedarmy to get this many responses. You guys rule. =)

Lindar

• Ice Queen/Admin
  • Breakfast Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 08:51:25 am »
I don't have a Sachs and I really know nothing about them, but I can try to explain some of the general stuff.

The carb's function is to mix fuel and air together into the right mixture so that your engine will run exactly right. If you have too much fuel in your fuel/air mixture, that's called a rich mixture, and it will cause your moped to run slowly and sound weird (four stroking). If you have too much air in your fuel/air mixture, that's called a lean mixture. If your mixture gets too lean, there won't be enough fuel/oil to cool the engine, and the engine can seize. Sometimes your moped will bog or run crappy if you're lean. (Past experience has shown that I'm pretty much incapable of telling the difference between a lean bog and four stroking... so if someone else explains that differently, listen to them.) When you're at full or mostly full throttle, the amount of fuel that the carburetor is mixing with the air is determined by the size of the hole in your main jet. If you go to a fix it day, you should look at some different size jets side by side. It always amazes me how such a tiny hole and tiny (barely visible to the naked eye tiny) differences in the sizes of the holes can make such a huge difference in how a moped performs. Generally speaking, you'll go faster if you have a bigger carb because a bigger carb will let you pump more fuel and more air into your engine. However, some of that also depends on how big your intake (connects carb to cylinder) is and how big the intake port in your cylinder is. Since I don't know anything about those two variables on a Sachs, I'll let the Sachs people tell you if that's a good performance investment or not. The same kind of thing applies to a high flow air filter -- it will let more air into your carb. If you put in a bigger main jet to allow more fuel (to match the greater amount of air), then that can help you go faster too. But again, I'll let someone else tell you if that's a good performance investment on a Sachs.

On the gearing, I'm assuming that "gear the rear sprocket down" means put on a rear sprocket with fewer teeth. A smaller (fewer teeth) rear sprocket will increase your top speed, but you'll lose some acceleration power. I would try to explain it, but it confuses me every time... so usually I just go read this a few times until I understand it again.

//www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Gearing

Racing tires wouldn't be very high on my list of performance upgrades. However, if it still has the original tires, or if the tires are looking cracked or worn, you should replace them. You might not go faster, but you'll be safer. Other little things you can do: always make sure your tires are properly inflated, clean and repack the wheel bearings, make sure your brakes and wheels aren't rubbing anywhere, double check chain tension, and make sure that you don't have air leaks anywhere.

I could link you to a bunch of articles and videos and stuff, but I know that if you go to a fix-it day, someone will explain/show all of this and more to you, and it will make a million times more sense a thousand times faster than if I try to explain it here.
1978 Puch Kromag (Swinger): <i>The first-born.</i> Needs work.
1980 Tomos A3: <i>The problem child.</i> Needs tuning.
1978 Sears Free Spirit: <i>The baby.</i> Needs brake work.
1980 Tomos A3: <i>The one that plays with knives.</i> Runs?

Copperhead

• I.R.E.
  • Golden Cobra Dojo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 08:52:47 am »
The only thing that will put you at 35-40 is a kit.

The exhaust is clamp on on stock, and prone to leaks...with a kit you can eliminate the clamp on, go to bolt on and perform much better. Even the 50cc kit would be a vast improvement. Tires, not really a speed boost, its all about the engine.

"Sweep the leg!"

mrbusto71

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 05:46:20 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
I'm a little confused on 1 point though. The moped I have is a 50cc, so wouldn't buying a 50cc kit defeat the purpose?

Copperhead

• I.R.E.
  • Golden Cobra Dojo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »
OH no, a 50cc 'KIT' has a ton more power that is available through porting and more windows in your piston, I wont get too technical but like I said before, you can put a bolt on exhaust AND more power.

I put a 50cc kit on my Pinto that was a 50cc and I got like 10 more mph...and with sachs you dont wanna go huge on the kits, 40 is about all the stock clutch can handle

"Sweep the leg!"